Here’s what I scored at the store!
>>> the MATERIALS > >
- 10″ wooden embroidery hoop
- fat quarter of fabric [RJR fabrics; Designer: Alexia Marcelle Abegg of Green Bee Design; Collection Name and Description: Cotton + Steel Basics; Season: Spring 2014]
- 3 skeins (are these called skeins, too?) of DMC floss [Nos. 891, 823, & 453]
Here’s a close-up of the fabric:
I printed out an outline of the state of Maine and traced it with my Clover Chacopen onto the fabric. I then hand-wrote all the text with the Chacopen.
I embroidered the state of Maine with 3 strands of DMC #823 using backstitch. I outlined that once more with DMC #453 in backstitch. This ended up being useless because you can’t see it and it didn’t make a difference. I embroidered “the way life” and “be” with 3 strands of DMC #823 using stem stitch. Unfortunately, that didn’t come out very well and I was too lazy to fix it. “Maine” and “should” are embroidered with 3 strands of DMC #891 in split stitch. Funny because split stitch needs to be done with an even number of strands. Oops. The hearts I embroidered with backstitch fill.
Here’s the finished product!
I’m actually fairly happy with how it came out! My friends said I could sell it on etsy. ^.~ I think I’d get a lot of bad reviews if I did. hahaa
>>> the aspiring FAILS > >
- Outlining the state of Maine in DMC floss #453 for no good reason
- Using an odd number of strands to do the split stitch
- Using stem stitch very poorly to embroider most of the words
- Making “should” crooked
- Oh, and you should see the french knots
All in all, a fun project. It only took me about two weeks. ( : I might try to make it into a hoopla using a tutorial I found online. We’ll see!
happy [mediocre] crafting!